Program for Spring 2023
Livestream available for ESE students, faculty, and staff at https://unc.zoom.us/s/7046117908. Others need to reach out to the moderator (howard_weinberg @ unc.edu) at least 5 days in advance to obtain permission to join.
Abstracts will usually be available a week before the seminar (click on title if in blue to access).
- January 18, 2023 - John Staley, Associate Professor, ESE
Working My Way Back to You: Helping Workers Return to the Workplace
Topic: Occupational Health
Introduction: Dr. Leena Nylander-French, Professor, ESE; Director, NC Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center.
- January 25, 2023 - Clara Eichler, Doctoral Candidate, ESE
The Monster in the Closet: Where PFAS Hides in your Home
Topic: Indoor Chemical Exposure
Introduction: Introduction: Dr. Barbara Turpin, Professor and Chair, ESE.
- February 1, 2023 - Naomi Chang, Doctoral Candidate, ESE
Ionic PFAS in the Indoor Environment or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fluorochemicals
Topic: Exposure and Air Quality
Introduction: Dr. Glenn Morrison, Professor, ESE.
- February 8, 2023 - Kennedy Holt, Doctoral Candidate, ESE
1 Risk, 2 Risk, High Risk, Low Risk: Estimating the Burden of Disease Attributable to Exposures from Private Wells in North Carolina
Topic: Risk Assessment
Introduction: Dr. Jackie MacDonald Gibson, Head, "Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering", NC State University; Adjunct Faculty, ESE.
- February 15, 2023 - Yifei Yang, Doctoral Candidate, ESE
How Gut Microbiome Plays a Role in Arsenic-Induced Diabetes?
Topic: Environmental Health and Toxicology
Introduction: Dr. Kun Lu, Associate Professor, ESE.
- February 22, 2023 - Praful Dodda, Doctoral Candidate, ESE
Air Pollution Modeling by Traditional and Modern Methodologies
Topic: Environmental Modeling
Introduction: Dr. Marc Serre, Associate Professor, ESE.
- March 1, 2023 - Yu Ying, Doctoral Candidate, ESE
Weather or Not: Temperature Variations Fuel Energy Inequity
Topic: Energy Equity, Justice, and Climate
Introduction: Dr. Noah Kittner; Assistant Professor, ESE.
- March 8, 2023 - Valeria De Lourdes Ochoa Herrera, Adjunct Professor
State of Water Quality in the Galapagos Islands
Topic: Water Quality
Introduction: Dr. Jill Stewart, Professor, ESE; Deputy Director, Center for Galapogos Studies.
Contact Howard Weinberg TA if you cannot access with either:
- ONYEN (UNC students, staff, faculty, etc.)
- email address (non-UNC affiliates)